Saturday, February 12, 2011

Mr. Lee-the man who (hopefully) saved our marriage!

So the H and I started to install our wood flooring ourselves.  We did all the research and spent $400 on tools and supplies.  We had gotten several quotes on having it installed and they ranged from $3 plus extra for trim to $6 a sq foot just for install.  Way out of our budget plus the install process didn't look that hard.

However on Sunday Feb. 6 we changed our minds.  We really had no idea what we were doing and it was just too stressful plus our master bath toilet started leaking and the H's mom was in a car accident (she is ok thankfully!) and we just gave up for the sake of our sanity and marriage haha.  We just aren't big DIY people.  We like to actually enjoy our weekends not doing housework. 


 Some of the wood floor layed out to get the feel for what it is gonna look like.  Mr. Lee is a professional and will lay it out so it looks good all mixed up with different pieces not like this which looks all haphazard.

The "I have no idea what I'm doing " face!

We were ready to take our chances and pay HD to install the floors for the $3 a sq foot price but one of my fellow Bmore Nesties came through for me! She rec'd a flooring store called Wood Floors Plus in  Glen Burnie and several local installers who would do a great job for not super expensive. I called several she gave me and Mr. Lee was able to come right over since he was working in Towson that day. He seems very knowledgable and gave me a great price.  Once I returned all the DIY tools I had to buy, we are only spending an extra $350ish to get them professionally done.  He told me he usually charges more but he likes me but actually I'm guessing he is trying to build business in this area and in this economy he wanted the job since I told him I had several other estimates coming in.  His book of past jobs is beautiful and he had tons of recomendation letters.  The people at the wood store also seemed to love him and they rec'd him to their customers when they purchase wood so I'm hoping that if he wasn't great, he wouldn't get such positive feedback.

When Mr. Lee wrote a price down and handed it to me  he said, "You like price, price is good?" and I was so giddy over it I said "Price is very good" ...so much for any negoiating haha.  But truthfully I think its a very fair price and wouldn't want to haggle over $50 or so. I signed him on the spot and he only asked for a $50 deposit to hold my space in his schedule and the rest is due upon completion of the job.  HD wanted the entire $$ upfront and I wasn't comfortable with that at all. 

The funny thing is is that Mr. Lee is Asian and has a very heavy accent. He understands and speaks English fine but the accent makes it hard for me to totally understand him.  He knows this and speaks really slowly for me. Its fine in person but pretty hard on the phone.  So when I called to move our install from this Monday to next week due to my broken ankle, we couldn't communicate new dates and I gave up and just told him to come and what shoe molding and stair nose I had picked out at Wood Floors Plus since their trim pieces are way cheaper than HD.  Hopefully it works out and he shows up and does a great job on Monday. I'll post updates Monday night.

On a side note, if you are looking for hardwood floors Wood Floors Plus is the way to go. Better products and more selection than Lumber Liquidators which I didn't think was that great a deal at all.  All the WFP products are 3/4" which is industry standard for good wood and LL had many products thinner just to have lower prices.  Our wood from HD was a super deal from them and comperable to WFP prices but WFP has a ton more selection.  I love our wood but would have loved to know about this store before we made the final decision since they had some really pretty stained oaks for cheaper.  They also have great associates who helped me and pulled up pricing and were very knowledgable.  They also have laminate and carpet but I didn't really check it out.  We are actually getting our trim pieces from there since they will match our floors and are a ton cheaper than the matching pieces from HD.
**Not perked in any way to talk about WFP but I just really liked the store and wanted to pass on the info!
A sample of the cheap trim at Wood Floors Plus- a great match for about 1/4 of the price.

No comments: