Sunday, November 7, 2010

Hi Ho Back to Work We Go.

Welcome back.  We are back from our break and I'm capable of helping out now.  I was out of commission for a few days.  Yesterday and today we tackled the floors and the rest of the cabinets that needed to be removed.  All that luan plywood underlay and vinyl is awful and I beg you to never put down vinyl in your house let alone 2 layers of it!  We also managed to get the water and breakers shut off to remove the dishwasher, garbage disposal, and sink.  Thanks to DIY Network and Youtube since we had no idea how to do any of this before today!  Not much else to tell except that my wonderful Husband let me stay upstairs yesterday babysitting the cat and watching movies while he did all the gross work of cutting and prying the floors since he didn't want me around all the chemicals and dust.  All I had to do was help with the shop vac cleanup last night and make lunch and dinner runs.  You are amazing :) (for that and other stuff too like putting up with me the last week or so).   Some pics for your enjoyment!

Oh the best (not really)  part of the day today was when we took apart the drain arms under the sink and all this nasty smelling water came running out into the bucket and it smelled foul!!! We were running around trying to get it and the pipe out of the house ASAP.  And to wash the husband's arm off where it spilled all over it.



 A huge pile of the nasty floors we've had to pry up over the past few days. 
 Unhooking the disposal.  Water and electricity make us very nervous but I'm a champ with the breaker box.  A daughter of an electrician knows how to work it ;)
 Prying up the sink...which has been my nemisis all these years.  Shallow, scratched, dented and a crappy faucet.  Oh and I don't bother to brush my hair on demo days apparently.
 Needs a bigger crow bar I guess.  Got a little help.
 Finally!  It feels amazing except when I realize I now have no sink.
 Or dishwasher now.
 Decided to just cut the cabinet apart from around the pipes.  Also we had to cut the countertop since it was so big we couldn't get enough leverage on it to get it off in one piece.

 The last remaining parts of our kitchen. 
 Surveying my empty shell .  WTH did we do??????
Lucky we are doing this reno. Our crappy faucet and disposal had been leaking into the sink cabinet and rotting the whole bottom around the pipes.  We didn't even have to cut this part. It just fell apart with a tap of the hammer.  Luckily, the cabinet absorbed all the water. Our subfloor and wall are fine.  But how gross is this?

No comments: